Cleanses for a Happy Belly
A Promise to Cleanse & Purify the Body
Many resolutions include a promise to cleanse and purify the body. While this is a commendable aim, it must be approached with a realistic attitude or the results could lead to a destabilisation not just to the physical but the mental & emotional levels as well. When you remove a physical toxin you also disturb the mental and emotional pattern that was involved in the forming of that toxin. This is why the experience of detoxification can be a roller coaster of thoughts and emotions.
Before you contemplate the level of detox you want to achieve take a realistic look at your present toxin level. If you are new to cleansing or have not been living a particularly pure lifestyle then you need to start gently. If you release too many toxins at once you can feel like you are being poisoned, this is disheartening, destabilising and can set up a negative pattern towards purification. It is much more effective and positive experience to cleanse at a rate that leaves you feeling fresh and clean rather than sick and unstable.
What's in this article:
- How to Reduce Caffeine
- Simple & Effective Cleanses
- Air/Space Recommendations
- Fire Recommendations
- Earth/Water Recommendations
- Deep Cleansing
Caffeine is a drug that many people underestimate when it comes to cleansing. While I was living in a meditation academy (where caffeine was not available) I would regularly witness people who had come for meditation courses experiencing withdrawals in the form of headaches, irritability and cravings. It got to the point where we kept a supply of coffee to give them with enough caffeine to ease the discomfort of their symptoms and allow them to continue on their course. If caffeine is a drug you wish to eliminate then start by reducing the amount you drink by half for one week, then reduce it by half the next week and so on until it is eliminated from your diet. Rajas cup is an excellent coffee substitute completely free of caffeine and with so many health benefits as it is a super powerful anti-oxidant.
Herbal Tea Cleanse
Drinking 1-2 litres of hot water of caffeine free herbal tea sipped through the day is a gentle and very effective way to cleanse the system. This approach is an important factor with any form of cleanse to aid the removal of toxins from your body. Cold water does not have the same cleansing effect, for effective dehydration and toxin elimination the water you drink needs to be at body temperature. If you are wondering what your body temperature is then place your hand under your armpit.
Peya Soup Cleanse
A simple and effective cleanse that is suitable for everyone is Peya soup. This is an ancient recipe given to me by one of my teachers that can be followed for 1-3 days as a stand-alone cleanse or incorporated on a regular basis. For the best results, incorporate the Peya soup days into a regular cleanse:
- Earth/Water: once a week
- Fire: once every two weeks
- Air/Space: once a month
What is Peya soup? Peya soup is an ancient healing recipe many thousands of years old. It is a cleansing soup that is rich in proteins and carbohydrates so you will not feel depleted during the day. It contains a combination of herbs and spices that enhance the body’s natural cleansing and toxin elimination processes. Working with your body’s natural intelligence Peya soup promotes an effective elimination that does not put strain on any one particular organ (as is the case in organ specific cleanses).
Peya soup recipe
Makes enough for one person for one day
- 2 oz / 45g basmati rice (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz / 45g yellow mung dhal (1/2 cup)
- 1 heaped tsp fresh root ginger
- ½ level tsp turmeric
- ½ level tsp cumin
- ¼ level tsp asafetida (hing)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- Himalaya rock salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Note: you can adjust the amount of herbs and spices to suit your taste and palate. Yellow mung dhal and asafetida can be purchased from the website.
Peya soup the easy way:
- Put the rice and mung dhal into a saucepan and wash well several times until the water is clear.
- Put rice and mung dhal into a slow cooker and add boiling water, 4 parts water to one part rice & mung dhal combination.
- Slow cook for 2-3 hours checking water level is sufficient and that the soup does not become thick or burn. Aim to make it the consistency of wallpaper paste but you can make it thinner if you wish.
- Add ginger, herb & spices ½ hour before you plan to eat, save surplus soup in a thermos flask or leave in the slow cooker on the keep warm setting.
Note: Eat as much of the Peya soup as you comfortably can as this will help to remove the toxins released exit your body. If you feel nauseated by the toxins being released you need to eat more soup and drink more fluids to help speed up the exit process.
- One fluid day every 4 weeks is recommended for the Space/Air types in winter and one day every two weeks in summer.
- Make sure that you drink at least 2 litres of hot Vata tea during this day to help remove the toxins.
- Stay warm and avoid cold draughts at all costs.
- If you can spend the day in silence it would greatly help to settle and soothe your nervous system, if you find silence oppressive then listen to soft, gentle music.
- Creative and artistic activities that are not physically demanding are especially recommended on this day.
- Extra meditation and yoga, especially during the hours of 2pm to 6pm would benefit but if you prefer this day to take rest.
- Hot soak in a bath in the afternoon or early evening will help to remove toxins and relax you.
- Avoid conversations especially on the phone and switch off your computer.
- One fluid day every 2 weeks is recommended for the Fire types. In the summer months when the weather is hot it can be increased to once a week.
- 1-2 litres of Pitta, Peppermint and or fennel tea are highly recommended during this day.
- Eat as much soup as you like! But If you start to feel unbearably hungry have some dry toast but be sure to eat very slowly and chew really well. Or drink a glass of warm water with 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Violent films, news or serious documentaries are to be avoided, humorous, feel good films or spending time with friends that lift your spirit and make you laugh.
- Take a gentle walk first thing in the morning and then take the opportunity to pamper yourself with a face pack, manicure, pedicure and an herbal bath.
- One fluid day every week is recommended for the Earth/Water types. Once a month this cleanses can be extended to 2-3 days.
- Make sure you get up early (before 7am) cardio exercise until you are sweating freely, get your system pumping!
- Visit a sauna or steam room and have a long sweat or do a steam inhalation with “Easy breathe” oil followed by a hot bath.
- Drink ½ - 1 litre of stimulating teas such as Kapha tea or ginger and lemon.
- Do not sleep during the day even if you feel tired, do something physically stimulating to help the process of elimination.
- During any cleanse day it is not necessary to take supplements.
- If you are on medications from your physician check with them that this program is suitable for you.
- The day following your cleanse avoid foods such as dairy (especially hard cheese), meat, fish and alcohol. Carefully monitor what you eat as your body will be more aware and sensitive. This will allow you to get a clear understanding of what foods work and what does not suit your system
If you are looking for a deeper cleanse then this will require a commitment of 7-10 days and will include a restricted diet and plenty of rest. This cleanse needs careful planning and requires that you come for a personal consultation to design the approach that suit your system. This personally designed program includes oil massage, heat treatments, specific diet, internal oiliation and elimination processes:
- The day will start with a prescribed intake of ghee (clarified butter) that will bind to the oil based toxins in your body and remove them from your system.
- Daily massage using oil specifically chosen for your elemental body type and season of the year.
- Exercise routine that will aid the stimulation of the toxins.
- Approaches to maximise the elimination of mental and emotional toxins.
- Dietary guidelines and recipes.
- Hot baths using a special formula of mineralised stone to eliminate toxins.
- Included in this cleanse is an elimination day using specific oils that will flush out the toxins in the bowel.
After you have completed this cleanse the next time you cleanse you have the option to take it to a deeper level by incorporating enema. Enema is a gentle but powerful and effective way to eliminate toxins in the comfort of your own home. There are two main types of enema that we use, one is a nourishing cleansing and preparatory enema using sesame oil, the next step is to use a larger flushing enema that quickly removes toxins from the body.
If you have a cold, are feeling run down or weak do not start any cleanse as you could deplete your system and compromise your immune system. It is better to postpone your cleansing until your body is strong enough to deal with the rigours of detoxification.
Article by: Ian Hayward